Back in November, I decided to make quilts for both my mom and my dad for Christmas. In November. For Christmas. Yeah, that was a bit ambitious. I decided to use the same block—falling triangles— for each and the same background fabric, a batik from Me+You. But for Mom’s quilt I used Kaffe Fassett fabrics in bright reds, pink, and purples. And for Dad’s quilt I used blues.
Dad and I have a long history of blue. His eyes are clear blue, and I can’t help but give him blue shirts for gifts to set off his eyes. I can’t even tell you how many blue shirts I’ve given that man over the years. A lot. Plaid shirts, denim shirts, a very occasional striped shirt if it’s not too flashy. A lot of blue shirts. So when it came time to choose a color for his quilt, of course it would be blue. And because I’m a bit of a blue girl myself, every fabric came from my stash.
Come Christmas morning, Mom opened up a bright, colorful quilt top (more to come on that one in a later post). And Dad opened a partial top made with blue fabrics. The look in those blue eyes when he opened that partial quilt was pretty priceless. You see, despite my mom being a quilter, he had only one quilt that was his own, and it was on its last legs. He really needed a new quilt.
So, while my plan had been to finish Mom’s quilt first, Dad’s got moved to the front of the line. He didn’t want the quilt as large as I had intended to make it (he just wanted a nap quilt rather than a bed quilt), so that was easy. And he didn’t want cotton batting, which isn’t quite warm enough for a Wisconsin winter nap. After a bit of discussion, Mom and I decided I should try wool batting.
I brought the two quilts home from Christmas and started working again on Dad’s. The center of the quilt was done, so I just added the scrappy border. For the back I used a few pieces larger pieces of fabric from the front.
I pin baste my quilts, and basting the wool batting was a breeze. That batting stuck to the fabric like nothing I’d ever seen, so there was no shifting of the layers while I basted.
And quilting it was a lot easier than I thought, too. Wool is very lightweight, so it was easier to move around my domestic sewing machine than cotton quilts of that size. Wool batting is lofty, and so the quilt is puffier than a cotton quilt, too.
I kept the quilting very minimal, just echo quilting the triangles and a square design in the border. It was the fastest way to quilt it, in my mind, and honestly, I knew Dad wouldn’t care too much about the quilting.
A few technical notes about the quilt: I used 8″ squares for the falling triangle blocks instead of the 10″ squares in the tutorial. This resulted in the 6.5″ blocks that I used in the quilt. The quilt finished at 61″ wide and 77.5″ high.