Apron and Pot Holder Set

Benefit apron potholder set

I got word a few weeks ago that the co-workers of my friend with cancer were having a benefit to help her with her medical expenses. One of fundraisers at the event would be themed raffle baskets, and the organizers were looking for handmade items to include in the baskets. I love raffle baskets, and anytime I’m at an event that has them, I have to put in at least a little money to try to win one.

Anyway, I thought one possible theme that would work for the benefit was a kitchen theme, so I decided to make up an apron and pot holder set. I found a tutorial titled  Retro Half Apron with Matching Hot Pads from Sew4Home that seemed perfect. I started with the apron, since I’d made a few of those in the past.

Benefit apron

The fabric I chose was all pieces from my stash. The lady fabric was some I had picked up at Creativities craft shop and school here in Madeira. I loved the fabric, but I had no idea what I would use it for. But it seemed perfectly suited for an apron when paired with a few solids I had around.

 

Benefit apron pocket

The apron pattern has a cute pocket detail that I decided to make with another print from my stash. It’s not super noticeable on the apron, but I like to think of it as a happy surprise if you do happen to see it.

Benefit apron lining

The pattern didn’t call for a lining, but once I put those pockets in, I didn’t like the thought of having the reverse side unlined. It just seemed too unfinished. So before I put on the bottom binding and the waistband, I lined the apron. To do this, just cut a piece of fabric to the same size as the apron, place wrong sides together, then sew along the two sides and the bottom, leaving the top open. Turn the apron right sides out, and edge-stitch around the two sides and bottom to make the edges nice and crisp. Then just follow the rest of the pattern for the waistband and bottom binding.

With the apron finished to my satisfaction, I went on to make the pot holders. Ugh. Those were difficult.

Benefit potholders

The pot holders themselves were easy enough, but the binding really got me. I was very low on the red fabric, so I tried binding them with strips cut on the grain rather than on the bias (cut on the bias, the strips have a bit of stretch to them). That was a fail. The corners were super bunchy and just bad.

So then I bought some bias tape to bind the edges. But the white bias tape from the store was so sheer the other fabrics showed right through.

I was going to have to find some more red fabric. I thought the fabric I was using was a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton, and I’d heard a store I’d never been to in Cincinnati carried some. So I went to Silk Road Textiles and was very happy with their selection of fabric and yarns. And they had a red that matched almost perfectly!

I cut the bias strips from the new red fabric and used that to bind the edges of the pot holders. It turns out, I just don’t have much experience sewing curves or sewing with bias strips. So after a couple of attempts, there’s still a good bit of bunching and a few misshapen corners, but they look better than they did.

Benefit set detail

I do think they look pretty cute as a set. Anyway, I hope the organizers of the benefit can use them, and that whoever wins the raffle basket is happy to have them.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

2 Comments

  1. These are just gorgeous Christine! WOW! And I LOVE your colors and the little bonus pocket detail! (Here’s a couple of tips with bias binding just in case you didn’t know…be cure to wash your fabric before you cut the bias strips – it’ll bend around the curves much better…the sizing that is put in fabric to make it look nice and crisp also tends to prevent it from stretching sufficiently along the bias. Also, it looks to me like your corner curves on the potholders are a little tight (maybe used a juice glass for the curve?) Try a dinner plate next time, you will get a much larger curve, MUCH easier for the bias to go around.
    Thanks for sharing this project!

    Reply
    • Thank you so much for the tips, Meryl Ann! I didn’t wash the fabric ahead of time, but the information about the sizing makes perfect sense. And you’re right that a larger curve would have been easier. Next time I’ll know! Thanks, again.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: