Here it is! My first finished crochet project in . . . well, a very long time. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I made it for a friend who has cancer. Her favorite color is yellow, and I am hoping this will wrap her in a bit of sunshine and warm thoughts as she recovers from surgery and goes through a second round of chemo.
I ended up using all five hanks of yarn that I purchased for the project. It’s 19 inches wide by 55 inches long and has a good bit of stretch to it. It’s not very fancy and has a good number of flaws, but hopefully it will bring her a smile and a bit of comfort.
The part of the process I was most worried about was blocking, as I hadn’t done that for any of my projects in the past. Blocking is the shaping of the piece, while it’s wet, using pins. I layered several fluffy towels on our laundry table and blocked the shawl on that. The towels were thick enough that the T-pins I used to hold the shawl stuck in nicely.
I’m not sure, now, why I saw blocking as such a hurdle. I guess just the process of getting it all set up seemed daunting. But now that it is set up, I blocked a few granny squares. And I need to weave in the ends of a few more squares so I can block those, too. I think I see more finished crochet projects in my future!