Girly Quilt for Ronald McDonald House

I have a work-in-progress for you today: a girly quilt for the Ronald McDonald House charity. The first quilt I made for them had a boyish vibe, so I thought I’d make this second one a bit more girly. And girly it is.

I didn’t have a very clear plan as I making the quilt top. I had only a third of a yard of the two fabrics I wanted to feature—the purple floral and the dragonfly fabric that I picked up at Lavender Street—so I knew I would need to be creative. I decided to forgo borders on this quilt and designed the whole 40-inch length and width with 8-inch blocks. I did realize I needed to add something to stretch this to a quilt, so I stopped down to Sewn Studio and picked up the purple gingham. I made the pieced blocks uniform, at least to the extent that there’s a dragonfly print, a teal fabric, and a white and gray print, in that order, in each block.

Once I got the blocks cut and pieced, I played around a lot with the layout. I decided to keep the purple floral central and to use the gingham more as filler. I oriented the pieced blocks so on the inside the dragonflies were toward the purple floral, but they were toward the outside along the edges of the quilt. This made kind of cool pattern of the teal strips, too.

For once I actually had enough of one fabric—the purple gingham—for the backing! But after cobbling together so many quilt backs, I decided one fabric seemed a bit too plain. So I was super daring and tried my hand at raw-edge applique to create a dragonfly label based on the dragonflies in the print on the front of the quilt. I drew my dragonfly on Lite Steam-A-Seam 2, cut out the pieces, and placed them on fabric. I then cut out the fabric pieces and ironed them to the white and gray background fabric. I used a zigzag stitch to secure the applique pieces, and then pieced the whole label into the backing fabric.

I was so happy with my applique dragonfly that I really didn’t want to mess him up with random quilting. So after stitching in the ditch on the front of the quilt, just enough to get things secure, I turned the quilt over, and quilted around my dragonfly.

With that territory now set aside for the dragonfly, I turned the quilt over back to the front, and I’m finishing the quilting, taking care not to bother my dragonfly.

I’m doing simple straight lines to mimic the straight lines on the pieced block, and I’ll add a wavy line in each of the teal strips.

And for the floral and gingham blocks, I’m trying my hand at flowers using my walking foot.

I still have a good bit more quilting to do on this one, but I’m pretty happy with the way it’s turning out. I’m hoping this one will make a little girl feel a bit of comfort in the next few weeks.

Advertisements
Previous Post
Leave a comment

7 Comments

  1. It’s looking great, Christine! I really like the dragonfly decoration.

    Reply
  2. Kara

     /  September 26, 2012

    The large applique dragonfly is beautiful! I also really like the flower quilting, so pretty!

    Reply
    • Thanks, Kara! I am pretty happy with that dragonfly, especially since I haven’t done much applique work like that. But I must say, reading books on the topic for a living does help.

      Reply
  3. Tricia

     /  September 26, 2012

    LOVE IT! Such a special gift. Made with love.

    Reply
  4. wordpressreport

     /  October 6, 2012

    Reblogged this on WordPress Report.

    Reply
  1. Finished Girly Quilt « Christine Doyle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: