In record time, I finished the quilting for this quilt that I’ll be donating to our local Ronald McDonald House charity. (Here’s my blog post on making the quilt top.) I usually get stalled on the quilting. I don’t practice enough to be good at it, and because I’m not good at it, I don’t practice. You can see my problem.
But for this quilt, I decided to dive into the quilting before the first layer of dust settled on the quilt top. Because of the animal theme, I titled the quilt “Roar,” and I quilted that into the brown fabric on each side of the quilt.
In the four-patch blocks, I just did a simple X and then stitched in the two ditches.
And for the animal blocks, I highlighted one animal face in each, and then added more stitching to fill in the block. You can still see my yellow chalk lines in this photo.
After giving a whole presentation to the Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild on labeling quilts, I would be remiss not to have one on this quilt. (Here’s a link to part one of my blog posts on quilt labels, based on that presentation. And here’s part 2.)
And finally, a quick look at the back of the quilt. I had small pieces of the animal fabric left, so I incorporated them into the back along with some of the other fabrics I used from my stash.
This really was a fun quilt to work on, not only because of the fun animal fabric, but because of the size, too. 40 x 40 rocks! It’s large enough to do a fun design, and small enough to quilt easily—and get done quickly. I think my next charity project will be a girl quilt of this size for the Ronald McDonald House. I’m already gathering girly purple fabrics for it.