This weekend was hot in a big way, so we didn’t do much in the way of outdoor activities. That left plenty of time for sewing and watching all the Lethal Weapon movies on BluRay! (Alright, I admit, I watched only #2 and #4.) And during my sewing time, I was able to start and finish my second apron for Project Apron, sponsored by Craft Hope for the benefit of Haiti by Hand.
Instead of making a half apron like my first one (you can find the tutorial here), I decided to try making a full apron. I found a free pattern online from Michael Miller fabrics (scroll down and find the Classic Apron pattern on the right side of the blog). The pattern was easy to follow, and I really only made a few modifications. I simplified the pocket a bit, as theirs showed only a bit of the secondary fabric, and wanted to show off the dot fabric more.
The pattern called for the adult apron to be cut to 25 inches long. Once I got the front cut, I realized that it seemed a little short. So I cut the lining fabric a bit longer, and then brought the back around to the front for a little added length. It ended up being very little added length, but it makes kind of a nice design feature anyway.
As I mentioned in my first post on this topic, the Craft Hope effort ends on May 31, so they can move on to other worthy causes. But Haiti by Hand will be collecting the aprons until July. So there’s still time to make one if you’d like!